Bits of X.J

Bits of X.J

Friday 8 January 2016

Dining at Din Tai Fung @ Gurney plaza

I have tried Din Tai Fung in KL 2 years ago and from my experience, it was not as great as expected seeing that the queue is more than an hour long. This time, we have decided to give it another try in Gurney Plaza. It was around 3.30pm when we reach and still the queue was long considering it is not at peak hours. We waited for about 15-20 minutes before being seated. The interior design is much simpler than the branch in KL and it is quite small. The staff were however helpful and food came quite fast after we ordered.



Din Tai Fung House Special RM8.10
The Din Tai Fung House Special was recommended by my sister-in-law and it is a small plate of seaweed, beansprout and bean curd strips tossed in a spicy and tangy dressing. I do like beansprouts so I am not very fond of this particular dish and the portion is too small for the price we had to pay for it.

Golden Yam Paste Roll
I am a big fan of yam so I had to order this to try. The yam was a bit bland to my liking but overall it was an alright dish.

Fried rice
Pork Chop
Next dish is pork chop fried rice, again vouched by the sister-in-law who has tried this dish in Singapore. The pork chop was a bit hard and rubbery but the taste is good, whereas the fried rice is just like any fried rice from roadside stalls, not up to the standards, in other words.

Spicy shrimp and pork wonton noodle 
The only saving grace is this bowl of spicy La mian noodles. I like that it was not too spicy and the wontons were also quite good. But Rm20+ for a bowl of noodles seems a bit overpriced isn't it?

Stir-fried Chinese cabbage with garlic
They ran out of stir-fried baby string bean with minced pork so we decided to try this one. They look like baby cabbages which is quite cute according to my husband. But I never like cabbage and I gave this dish a miss. But hubby said this is quite nice to eat.

Mini taro bun
The yam paste is similar to the golden yam paste roll with the only difference being this is stuffed inside a 'bao'. 

Xiao long bao
The most anticipated dish- and yet the most let-down one. And we ordered 10 pieces and could hardly finish them! If we knew earlier, we would have ordered 3 pieces only. The xiao long baos are small and so the broth inside is very little and the dumpling skin is slightly thicker than I would have liked. Dragon-I's xiao long bao are way better than this supposedly famous restaurant's.




Total damage was RM122.80 and I must say it was not the most satisfying meal I have had before. This restaurant probably received more credit than it's due.

Address: B1-05C, Gurney Plaza, Persiaran Gurney, 10250, Georgetown, Penang.
Operating Hours: 11 am to 10 pm. Opens Daily.
Contact Number: 604- 218 9645

4 comments:

  1. Fried rice and xiao long bao i ate in Sg b4 is tasty!=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Singapore's branch is nicer.. My sis-in-law sings their praises too! 😊

      Delete
  2. The spicy ramen I had during the 2nd day of opening was way overcooked. I believe we should give them some time to stabilize... lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah maybe..haha.. Give them some time, maybe they will improve

      Delete