Bits of X.J

Bits of X.J

Wednesday 13 July 2016

Black pork - Our first meal in Jeju!

I never really like to eat pork, you can ask anyone who knows me well. But this is not any ordinary pork. I have never tasted anything quite as succulent and juicy yet crispy. I simply love it. Before going to Jeju, I have done a fair share of homework and most of the blogs mentioned that black pork is just so-so or tasted just like ordinary pork. Maybe it is just our luck, the owner of the B&B we stayed at brought us to this local restaurant which is frequented by mostly locals so you can tell it must be good.

The pork meat itself is not black but the name is due to the black hair of the pig. To help customers identify that the pork served to them is real black pork, the restaurants keep some of the black hair on the pork. So to those who are not familiar with this custom, they would think that they left the hair on the pork by accident. My husband is one of those people, he was complaining to me bout how dirty are they to keep the hair on the pork and actually serve it to us! Haha. But we both dare not eat the skin part with the hair and cut it out before consuming the pork.

The B&B owner even helped us to order the recommended part of the black pork- which is non other than the pork belly, the part with the most fat. I cant believe I let him order something so fattening! But when I took a bite, I was in love. We ordered a serving each which is about RM75 per person, but it was really worth it. The meal comes with rice, miso soup, lettuce, ssamjang (wrap sauce), kimchi, salad and other dishes that I could not quite identify but tasted good with the pork itself. Most of the cooking was done by the restaurant staff and served to us when it is well-cooked to perfection. The aroma is so tantalizing! I usually never order a second serving of rice even back in my own country but it was so appetizing and I was famished after the flight to Jeju.

If you ever come by Andeok-myeon, make sure you stop by to eat at the wonderful black pork at his restaurant. You won't regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment