Bits of X.J

Bits of X.J

Friday 18 December 2015

Brunch at Xi Xiang Kaya Kopitiam @ Gurney Paragon Mall

It has been some time since I last visited Gurney Paragon Mall. A new Xi Xiang Kaya outlet has opened on level 2 of the mall right next to Padini concept store since 16th of November 2015. I was drawn to the place immediately as it was bustling with people and the staff were friendly and greeted us 'Welcome' even when we were few feet away from the counter. My husband has actually been to the Simpang Ampat branch and gave an acceptable feedback so we search for a table to have our brunch.



As I screened through the two page menu, I realized the options are quite limited but I managed to find what I wanted to order- a chicken curry pie and a cup of almond milo. Hubby has tried their hand-made spicy noodle (dry ban mian) before and has already passed judgement that I Mum Mum's ban mian is better and cheaper. So he decided to try their chicken rice instead.

3 branches in Penang
Menu page 1
Menu page 2
We waited (quite a considerable of time), but the waiter was very friendly and polite to us so we waited patiently. My chicken curry pie turned out smaller than expected- it was the size of a 'karipap' and not the size of a standard pie. But it made up for its meager size with its taste. It was not spicy and contains potatoes and some small chunks of chicken. I would have preferred to have it served as a mail meal with a bigger portion rather than as an ala carte dish.

My chicken curry pie RM7.90


Hubby's chicken rice was also quite nice with an appetizing gravy to go with it. I always feel the gravy decides whether a chicken rice dish is good or bad.

Chicken rice RM11.90

Almond milo tasted exactly like almond (heng jin) 'cham' with milo. Nothing to shout about and I feel it is quite pricey at RM4.50 per cup.

My cup of Almond milo RM4.50
Total damage

Overall, the price is on the high side- probably expected for its location but according to hubby, the price at the Simpang Ampat branch is exactly the same. It is still worth a try for those of you who have not tried it yet.


1 comment:

  1. You really can't beat the food at this place; they have the best vegetarian meals and the most adorable dishes for the kids. The service at event venue also was impeccable. The salad I had for dinner was delicious as well as the scallop appetizer. The main course of filet mignon and dessert soufflé was also awesome!

    ReplyDelete